Swedana Fomentation (Heating process)
Sweda is heat producing method which brings sweat and opens the pores of body cell membranes.
There are main four types of swedana.
||Tapa sweda - Usually solid material likesand, stone, bricks, rice, etc. are used
||Upanaha sweda - Semi solid or semi liquid material like poltice is used
||Ushma sweda - Vapour is used
||Drava sweda - Liuquid material like water, oil, mild etc. is used.
Usually following swedanas are very useful and commonly used in country :
- Bashpa Sweda - Vapour fomentation of nirgurdi, leaves Dashmoola, Nimba, Eranda leaves etc.
- Nadi sweda - Vapour for local use by pipe method
Shastika shali pinda sweda – Rice bolous of shastika type of rice is used.
With special decoction of Bala Mula to coock it. Hot pindas (Bolous) are moved on body in fashion of Abhyanga with special technique.
- Pizichili - Oil pouring on body which is famous in Kerala and snehadhara accordingly to Ayurvedic classics.
- Valooka sweda - is dry fomentation by sand.
- Avagaha sweda - is tub bath in warm decoction or siddha jala of medicine or in oil.
All these methods should be learned from expert panchakarma vaidya and adopted in practice.
Where swedana should be introduced ?
- Vata predominant prakriti and diseases
- Common cold
- Heavyness of body
- Pain-in neck. Lumbo sacral region, back hips, legs, hands, head etc.
- Laryngitis and Pharryngitis
- Facial paralysis
- Tympanitis and constipation
- Stiffness in neck, hips and back
- Lock jaw
- Joints diseases
- Disorders of Urination
- After delivery
- Atrophies of muscles, contractures of joints and for muscular functions